Queries Errors

From: "Carlos Atencio" <catencio(at)grupozoom(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Jacqueline Candal" <jcandal(at)grupozoom(dot)com>
Subject: Queries Errors
Date: 2002-01-29 22:43:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

I've installed Postgres 7.0.3.
The bug I founded was very weird.

I've this query that I run in my app. For example, give a list of all sales from all my stores around the country. The query runs very fast and I get the result I want. Later, I try to reduce the search and instead of list all stores, I want to list only one store. The query runs but this time is slower than before (I have the proper indexes in that table). In this case, we're using the same query but with one more condition.

I looked at the query with the explain command and I saw that Postgres wasn't using the sentence where I ask only for one store. Accidentally, I made a mistake and wrote the one store sentence twice in that query. My surprise was that the query did work!!!. When the query had the same sentence written twice it actually worked fine and it took fewer time than before.

None has known how to repair this. In some queries, duplicating some senteces makes it work. In other queries, it doesn't.

Please, if you know how to correct this let me know.

Carlos E.Atencio
Caracas-Venezuela