Re: simple join uses indexes, very slow

From: "Dave Dutcher" <dave(at)tridecap(dot)com>
To: <gry(at)ll(dot)mit(dot)edu>,<pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: simple join uses indexes, very slow
Date: 2006-03-28 16:18:25
Lists: pgsql-performance

[mailto:pgsql-performance-
> owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of george young
> Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 12:48 PM
> To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
> Subject: [PERFORM] simple join uses indexes, very slow

[Snip]

>     "parameters_idx" btree (run, opset_num, step_num, opset,
opset_ver,
> step, step_ver, name, split, wafers)
>     "parameters_opset_idx" btree (opset, step, name)
>     "parameters_step_idx" btree (step, name)

Have you tried creating some different indexes on parameters?  I don't
know if it should matter or not, but I would try some indexes like:

(run, opset_num) //Without all the other columns
(opset_num, run) //Backwards
(opset_num)

I don't really know Postgres internals all that well.  It just seems to
me that parameters_idx has a lot of columns this query is not interested
in.  I'd just be curious to see what happens.