just to get some opinion on my configuration

From: "Guillaume Houssay" <ghoussay(at)noos(dot)fr>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: just to get some opinion on my configuration
Date: 2003-03-20 21:26:40
Lists: pgsql-performance
I am setting up a project using APache, PHP and Postgresql.
This application will be used by about 30 users.

The database is about this type :

between 12GB and 15GB
4 tables will have 1M rows and 1000 columns with 90% of INT2 and the rest of float (20% of all the data will be 0)
the orther tables are less than 10 000 rows

Most of the queries will be SELECT being not very complicated (I think at this time)

I have 1 question regardind the hardware configuration :

DELL
bi-processor 2.8GHz
4GB RAM
76GB HD using Raid 5
Linux version to be defined (Redhat ?)

Do you think this configuration is enough to have good performance after setting up properly the database ?

Do you thing the big tables should be splitted in order to have less columns. This could mean that I would have some queries with JOIN ?

Thank you for your help !

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: David OlbersenDate: 2003-03-20 21:41:25