Re: NULLS and string concatenation

From: terry(at)greatgulfhomes(dot)com
To: "'Stephan Szabo'" <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, "'Don Drake'" <dondrake(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "'Richard Huxton'" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: NULLS and string concatenation
Date: 2004-11-20 00:16:53
Lists: pgsql-sql

There is an easy solution anyway, use coalesce to ensure you are never returning a null result for
any components of the concat.

e.g.
select 'some text, blah:' || coalesce(NULL, '')
equates to 'some text, blah:' || ''
hence
'some text, blah:'

Terry Fielder
Manager Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry(at)greatgulfhomes(dot)com
Fax: (416) 441-9085