One-click postgres install without needing cygwin

From: "Carl Youngblood" <carl(at)youngbloods(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: One-click postgres install without needing cygwin
Date: 2003-07-22 15:37:44
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

I'm re-sending this just to avoid problems with the mailer altering my message and causing you to get security error messages saying that the digital signature indicates that my message had been altered. Here it is unsigned.

Hello all,

After going through the installation process for postgres under windows I've been thinking that this process could be simplified considerably. I am thinking about making a one-click install for postgres under windows that uses the cygwin dll and any other necessary cygwin files, but embeds them in its own directory so that they will only be visible to itself. It would also need to work if the user already had cygwin installed by making sure that postgres used its own versions of the cygwin files and not ones in the path.

I have experience with making installshield-like executables, but I'm not sure what cygwin files need to be included for it to work. Is there anyone out there who is willing to make a list of necessary files for me? Even better would be a list of full paths as they occur in a default cygwin installation. I can then make sure that the install goes through the steps listed in the installation instructions (setting up the postgres user, permissions etc.). I can also make sure that the install uses different steps depending on the user's version of Windows.

Carl Youngblood