Re: a trigger that sends an email + returning multiple records

From: "Moray McConnachie" <moray(dot)mcconnachie(at)computing-services(dot)oxford(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: "Oscar Serrano" <oserra(at)fondos(dot)net>, "pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: a trigger that sends an email + returning multiple records
Date: 2000-04-06 11:09:11
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

7.0 provides support for calling Perl functions, although I haven't had time
to experiment with it. In beta4 (not sure about earlier betas), it can be
found in the src/interfaces/perl5 directory, with examples in the eg
subdirectory beneath that...
Looks pretty good, although I guess it still can't return multiple records.

Incidentally, I've just thought of a work around for not being able to
return multiple records, although I'm not sure how exactly it would work.
Could one have a function that would create a table with (e.g.) a random
time-based name, fill it with the desired records, and return the name of
the table as the result of the argument?

Could one do for example, something like

SELECT searchid FROM searchfunction('criteria1','criteria2','criteria3')

or is that going to be rejected because you can't have functions returning
tablenames?

Haven't got time to look at any of this :-<
Yours,
Moray
Moray(dot)McConnachie(at)computing-services(dot)oxford(dot)ac(dot)uk