Re: Caching of Queries

From: "Iain" <iain(at)mst(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Caching of Queries
Date: 2004-09-28 04:47:30
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi Tom,

> This "latches" stuff is irrelevant to us.

Well, that's good to know anyway, thanks for setting me straight. Maybe
Oracle could take a leaf out of PGs book instead of the other way around. I
recall that you mentioned the caching of the schema before, so even though I
assumed PG was latching the metadata, I had begun to wonder if it was
actually neccessary.

While it7s obviously not as critical as I thought, I think there may still
be some potential for query caching by pg. It would be nice to have the
option anyway, as different applications have different needs.

I think that re-use of SQL in applications (ie controlling the proliferation
of SQL statements that are minor variants of each other) is a good goal for
maintainability, even if it doesn't have a major impact on performance as it
seems you are suggesting in the case of pg. Even complex queries that must
be constructed dynamically typically only have a finite number of options
and can still use bind variables, so in a well tuned system, they should
still be viable candidates for caching (ie, if they aren't being bumped out
of the cache by thousands of little queries not using binds).

I'll just finish by saying that, developing applications in a way that would
take advantage of any query caching still seems like good practice to me,
even if the target DBMS has no query caching. For now, that's what I plan to
do with future PG/Oracle/Hypersonic (my 3 favourite DBMSs) application
development anyway.

Regards
Iain