Re: [GENERAL] BUG #1830: Non-super-user must be able to copy from a

From: "Sean Utt" <sean(at)strateja(dot)com>
To: "Bernard" <bht(at)actrix(dot)gen(dot)nz>, "Greg Stark" <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] BUG #1830: Non-super-user must be able to copy from a
Date: 2005-08-19 08:10:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

Yeah, I'm -vvv tonight.

psql provides \COPY table from file

how about
String cmd = "psql -c '\COPY table from file' -U user -d database"
Process p = Runtime.getRuntime( ).exec( cmd );
yatta yatta yatta, blah blah blah

naturally, if the database/server doesn't trust you, you'll have to jump
some hoops to get the password to the server, but then, trust is really the
issue, isn't it? And if you've been keeping an eye on the securityfocus
lists, you'd know that it is all about the trust.

What I keep hearing in this ongoing thread is the tradeoff between
convenience and security.

I want security, and you want convenience. If you own the server, you win.
Buy a server, pay for the bandwidth, learn to administer a server, and all
your problems disappear.

Don't want to do that? Then you have to live by my rules, because I own the
server, where your database lives.

Once again, if you are the expert, solve the problem. If you are not, pay
the expert to solve the problem. If the cost to fix the problem is higher
than you are willing to pay, the problem is not that important. If the cost
to fix the problem is more than you can afford --- bummer
dude!!!!

That is the way the world works. If you don't like it, look for a different
world. If you are rich, and/or completely without morals, and prone to
self-centered fantasy try the world of people who pretend to be Conservative
Republicans in the USA. (This is not intended as a slam against people who
are actually Republicans, or Conservatives --- unless they have failed to
speak out against those who usurp their identity.)

Sean