Re: Word 2002 - cannot list tables

From: George Weaver <gweaver(at)shaw(dot)ca>
To: Randall Smith <randall(at)tnr(dot)cc>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Word 2002 - cannot list tables
Date: 2004-12-23 04:21:51
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Hi Randall,

I'm not going to be harsh.

You might want to try setting up a "universal data link" (.udl) file in My
Documents, under My Data Sources.  I have used such a link on occasion.  I
just tried it with Word 2002 and was able to successfully link to
PostgreSQL.

In My Data Sources create a .txt file and then change the extension to
".udl".  Then double click on the file to open it.  It will bring up a
datalink properties wizard that will let you set the provider, etc.  Try the
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers under Provider.  Under the
Connection tab, specify the DSN you set up -  it should be in the drop down
box beside "Use data source name".  You shouldn't have to set any other
parameters since they should already be set in the DSN you set up.  Try the
Test Connection button to see if you can connect.

In Word 2002, choose Insert Database from the toolbar - then Get Data.  When
it asks you to select your data source, click on the .udl file you just
created, then Open.  It should retrieve the tables in the database for you.

There's not much in the .udl file.  This is what was in the file I just
created to test linking to Word :

[oledb]
; Everything after this line is an OLE DB initstring
Provider=MSDASQL.1;Persist Security Info=False;Data Source=test72

HTH,

Regards,
George