Re: Getting started - Interfacing questions

From: "Sean Davis" <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: "David" <dbree(at)duo-county(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Getting started - Interfacing questions
Date: 2005-03-07 14:12:53
Lists: pgsql-novice

----- Original Message -----
From: "David" <dbree(at)duo-county(dot)com>
To: "Sean Davis" <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 2:48 PM
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] Getting started - Interfacing questions

> Thanks for the reply. This is my first _reply_ to the list, and IIUC,
> this list advocates replying to both the list and individual. If I'm in
> error, please let me know.

You are not in error. : )

>> If I were you, I would build a
>> "business logic" component, allowing for querying, inserting, updating,
>> deleting. Once you have the interface to the database, you can build a
>> controller for the application.
>
> With the above and below suggestions, I take it you suggest building the
> interfacing into two separate modules, so to speak.. one for inputting
> and one for outputting. For the above, would it be best to create an
> app or could all this be done from within psql, or another tool?

Most of the higher level languages make available (often very powerful)
methods for interacting with a database. Choose the language you want to
use (perl, php, python, java) and then learn about the methods for designing
web-based applications in that language. The choice of language will affect
how one designs such an application. It will generally NOT involve using
psql. And, in the world of web-based applications, you really can't
separate your logic into "input" and "output" because of the "statelessness"
of the web interaction. Again, pick the language (php is probably the
easiest to get going with, but if you already have experience with one of
the other languages, use the language of most comfort instead) and then
learn how to do web and database programming with that language.

Sean