Re: Could not open relation with OID (table partitioning issue?)

From: "mark" <dvlhntr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "'bakkiya'" <bakkiya(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Could not open relation with OID (table partitioning issue?)
Date: 2010-11-20 03:45:05
Lists: pgsql-novice

What version of PG are you using? (just wondering so I can know if this
another 8.3 or something newer)

Are you using cursors ? (again just wondering)

I still haven't been able to reproduce in our dev machines only seeing this
issue in our production servers. (that handle several orders of magnitude
more traffic and data then I can generate in our dev servers)

Right now I am working on getting a patch to our functions at various db
servers that drops tables to first get an LOCK TABLE <parent table> IN
ACCESS EXCLUSIVE MODE before dropping child tables.

It's kind of a heavy hammer to have to use on a high transaction
environment, but I am hoping this will eliminate the problem in our
environment.

I probably won't know for a month if this will fix the issue or not, as that
is the pace that we move at. If try it I would like to hear back.

- Mark