postgres 8.2.4 new installation - trying to get autovacuum to work

From: "Mark Steben" <msteben(at)autorevenue(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: postgres 8.2.4 new installation - trying to get autovacuum to work
Date: 2007-10-11 18:21:33
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi, I'm new to 8.2 and trying to get our testing server to autovacuum.

I have a table that  has roughly 116000 rows

 I have applied 40,000 updates.

The applicable postgresql.conf parameters are as follows:

 autovacuum                                    | on

 autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor   | 0.1

 autovacuum_analyze_threshold       | 250

 autovacuum_freeze_max_age         | 200000000

 autovacuum_naptime                      | 60

 autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay    | -1

 autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit      | -1

 autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor  | 0.2

 autovacuum_vacuum_threshold      | 500

stats_row_level                               | on

 stats_start_collector                       | on

given the scale factor and the threshold I expected autovacuum to kick in at
about the 23000 th update

I am looking at the pg_logs   Should I be looking elsewhere?
Log_min_duration_statement currently set to 2000 milliseconds.

The updates show in the logs.  The vacuum does not.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank  you,

Mark Steben

Senior Database Administrator
@utoRevenueT
A Dominion Enterprises Company
480 Pleasant Street
Suite B200
Lee, MA 01238
413-243-4800 Home Office
413-243-4809 Corporate Fax

msteben <blocked::mailto:name(at)autorevenue(dot)com> @autorevenue.com

Visit our new website at
 <blocked::http://www.autorevenue.com/> www.autorevenue.com

IMPORTANT: The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential
and is intended only for the named addressee(s). If the reader of this
e-mail message is not the intended recipient (or the individual responsible
for the delivery of this e-mail message to the intended recipient), please
be advised that any re-use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
e-mail message is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail message in
error, please reply to the sender that you have received this e-mail message
in error and then delete it.  Thank you.

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Jessica RichardDate: 2007-10-11 18:33:24