pg_restore

From: Jodi Kanter <jkanter(at)virginia(dot)edu>
To: Postgres Admin List <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_restore
Date: 2002-03-27 16:58:47
Lists: pgsql-admin
I have an empty database that we recreated from scratch in order to make some column changes. I would like to restore the data that was in the original database. Will it work given that their are some new fields that did not exist before? Am I correct in that I cannot do this from pg_restore since it is a plain text file?

The data dump was created using the following syntax:

pg_dump genex -u -a > ./genex_data.backup (I have to use the -u switch since I have implemented forced sign on through the pg_passwd utility)

How can I get this data back in? pg_restore? psql command? and if so what is the appropriate syntax becasue I have tried this and its not working.
thanks
Jodi Kanter

Jodi L Kanter
BioInformatics Database Administrator