Re: Data split -- Creating a copy of database without outage

From: "Igor Shmain" <igor(dot)shmain(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "'Haifeng Liu'" <liuhaifeng(at)live(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Data split -- Creating a copy of database without outage
Date: 2012-05-30 15:14:02
Lists: pgsql-admin

Thank you, Liu, for your suggestion.

I might be missing something (I am new to postgres), but it seems that your
suggestion will not help much in my case. Since the number of db requests
will grow with time (more users will come into the system), the current
server will become incapable of serving all the requests quickly enough.

The idea is to increase overall calculation capacity of the system by adding
more servers to it. Throwing more hardware to a single main server is not an
option in my case. Creating multiple replicas (slaves) is also not an good
option - it would be way more efficient to have a group of db servers, each
serving only some subset of users and hosting data for those users only.
Buying new servers in advance is not an option too.

What I am looking for is switching some of the users to another db server
when the capacity of the existing server(s) is not enough. The point is to
do it without interrupting the users' work (so they do not see that horrible
"Sorry! This site is under maintenance.").

If I missed something it would be very kind of you to point this out.

Thank you once again,

-igorS