Re: BUG #1632: Several jailed PostgreSQL instances.

From: "Nicolai Petri (lists)" <lists(at)petri(dot)cc>
To: "Achilleus Mantzios" <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>, "Alexander Rusinov" <boot(at)eurocom(dot)od(dot)ua>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #1632: Several jailed PostgreSQL instances.
Date: 2005-04-30 08:46:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

You are correct - freebsd have indeed a global shm space which I don't think
is fixed in 5.x yet. We have run up to 4 postgresql in jails for our testing
and it just-works(tm) if we choose a different port for each database
instance.
It might still be a good idea for postgresql to be able to detect this
collision without crashing each others backend or doing other weird stuff.
Maybe a dedicated bit in the shm space could be flipped by the new
postmaster so it could see if it was flipped back again - this would allow
it to abort gracefully with a "Other postmaster active in my shared memory"
error.

Any other ideas ? It should be trivally to implement something to handle it
better.

Nicolai Petri