Re: Auto-incrementing field

From: denis(at)coralindia(dot)com
To: "Jim Steil" <jim(dot)steil(at)customcall(dot)com>,<pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Auto-incrementing field
Date: 2002-07-30 05:22:34
Lists: pgsql-novice
Yes.. Try SERIAL datatype.

test=# Create Table test (my_auto SERIAL,Name text);
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence 'test_my_auto_seq' for
SERIAL column 'test.my_auto'
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE/UNIQUE will create implicit index 'test_my_auto_key'
for table 'test'
CREATE
test=# insert into test(name) values ('Denis');
INSERT 13170208 1
test=# select * from test;
 my_auto | name
       1 | Denis

(1 row)

Note : It implicitely creates SEQUENCE and associate it with the field. But
if you drop the table, you need to drop the SEQUENCE manually.. it does not
drop it automatically..

Denis