Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: "'Jaime Casanova'" <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "'Fujii Masao'" <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, "'PostgreSQL-development'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'Dimitri Fontaine'" <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <cedric(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "'Robert Haas'" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "'Greg Smith'" <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "'Josh Berkus'" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "'Magnus Hagander'" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "'Christopher Browne'" <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>, "'Alvaro Herrera'" <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL
Date: 2012-12-11 10:47:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:25 AM Jaime Casanova wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 4:56 AM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > On Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:09 PM Fujii Masao wrote:
> >
> >> Is it helpful to output the notice message like 'Run pg_reload_conf()
> or
> >> restart the server if you want new settings to take effect' always
> after
> >> SET PERSISTENT command?
> >
> > Not sure because if someone uses SET PERSISTENT command, he should
> know the
> > effect or behavior of same.
> > I think it's good to put this in UM along with "PERSISTENT" option
> > explanation.
> >

> can we at least send the source file in the error message when a
> parameter has a wrong value?
>
> suppose you do: SET PERSISTENT shared_preload_libraries TO
> 'some_nonexisting_lib';
> when you restart postgres and that lib doesn't exist you can get
> confused when looking at postgresql.conf and find an empty string
> there

This can be done but for this we need to change internal functions
internal_load_library
initialize_SSL
postmastermain

The same information needs to be provided for some other parameters also
like 'listen_address', etc.
which are not validated during the configuration parameter set.

How about giving some Warning/Notice message for all postmaster specific
configuration parameters during set persistent as if any problem occurs
during restart please verify the postgresql.auto.conf file?
Also Provide information in User manual as how to recover from such problems
occurs because of postgresql.auto.conf?

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.