Re: ODBC driver for Windows & future...

From: Simeó Reig <simeo(at)incofisa(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ODBC driver for Windows & future...
Date: 2004-11-30 10:16:14
Lists: pgsql-odbc

>Hi,
>
>I think I'm not the only one to get worried about the future of the
>PGSQL ODBC driver. Since Iroshi has left last year, I have seen fixes
>now and then, but nobody seems to understand anymore how the driver
>really works...
>
>What most surprises me, is that there is not viable commercial
>alternative to the open-source ODBC driver. All the commercial drivers I
>have tested do not work at all... On the opposite, the PGSQL .NET driver
>development seems to be quite active, so does that mean ODBC is dead?
>I'm sure we are really a lot out here to be interested in a clean ODBC
>driver for Windows. If it continues like this, Postgresql will end up
>being a fantastic database, but cut out from the rest of the world.
>Well, the ODBC world at least.

>So, what next?

we have been using the driver since three years ago, we had made an
application
with 40 concurrent ODBC users, 144 tables and milions of rows, postgresql is
fantastic, with a great performance (dell 2650 dual processor raid 10) and
the most important : zero problems in three years.

Now, we have to make other application but we will not use postgresql
because
we don't trust ODBC project, seems nobody understands nothing !! People make
questions and nobody answer, people offer his help and nobody answer, where
are
the mantainers of the project ?? I remember three years ago when Iroshi
leader the
project this things never had happened.

why iroshi leaves the project ?? what was the unpleased reason ?

>1. Does the driver have to be completely rewritten? I have heard of a
>new 7.4 protocol that the actual driver does not support, and of libpq,
>that could be used to access the database, but really, that's all I
>know... Can these changes be incorporated in the actual driver?

speed,full ODBC 3.0 compliant, SSL, data compression,
full large object support ...and the most important : new people
with new ideas.

>2. Can anyone draw a skeleton of the how the "ideal" driver should be
>architectured? I remember seeing quite a lot of volunteers a few months
>ago, and I'm willing to do so myself, but "developing an ODBC driver" is
>not something we do every morning before coffee...

yes, it's a hard work

>Anyway, thanks to all of you that bring something to open-source.
>Postgresql through ODBC is still a viable production technology, I
>notice it every day. I'm just worring about the future...

Postgresql is one of the most greats databases but if you want to work
with an application that uses windows ODBC (visual basic, Fox Pro, asp,
asp.net ...) is turning on a "russian roulette".