row level locking

From: "Mark Steben" <msteben(at)autorevenue(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: row level locking
Date: 2007-07-20 18:19:36
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi listers,

I have a table that is accessed by only one transaction.  It has 1500 rows
each time that it processes

This transaction.  As soon as this transaction ends, it waits 10 seconds and
starts again.

It has another maximum 1500 rows loaded. .

My question is this:  I believe a RowExclusive level lock is acquired 1500
times during each transaction.

Is this true?  Is there a way to disable RowExclusive locks and reduce
overhead since only this transaction

Accesses this table.   I know there are ways to specify locking levels in
other DBMSs. To page or table levels.

We are currently at version 7.4.5.

Thank you for your time,

Mark Steben

Senior Database Administrator
@utoRevenueT
A Dominion Enterprises Company
480 Pleasant Street
Suite B200
Lee, MA 01238
413-243-4800 Home Office
413-243-4809 Corporate Fax

msteben <blocked::mailto:name(at)autorevenue(dot)com> @autorevenue.com

Visit our new website at
 <blocked::http://www.autorevenue.com/> www.autorevenue.com

IMPORTANT: The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential
and is intended only for the named addressee(s). If the reader of this
e-mail message is not the intended recipient (or the individual responsible
for the delivery of this e-mail message to the intended recipient), please
be advised that any re-use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
e-mail message is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail message in
error, please reply to the sender that you have received this e-mail message
in error and then delete it.  Thank you.

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Sibte AbbasDate: 2007-07-20 18:54:55