Re: Executing SP in VB6

From: "Iain" <iain(at)mst(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Sandro Yaqub Yusuf" <sandro(at)proservvi(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Executing SP in VB6
Date: 2004-10-05 01:31:54
Lists: pgsql-odbc

I've never done it either, but I have some code (which incidentally I got
from asktom.oracle.com) that you may be able to adapt. The original code
uses a simple select and bind variables. Because it uses binds it should be
easy to adapt to a SP's parameters:

Sub ParameterExample()

Dim cmd As New ADODB.Command

Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset

Dim prm As ADODB.Parameter

cmd.ActiveConnection = Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;User
ID=scott;Password=tiger;Data Source=oraDSN;

' Set the command's text, and specify that it is an SQL statement.

cmd.CommandText = "SELECT item_name FROM v_syouhin_info WHERE deptno = ?"

cmd.CommandType = adCmdText

' Set up a new parameter for the select.

Set prm = cmd.CreateParameter("deptno", adInteger, adParamInput, , 10)

cmd.Parameters.Append prm

' Create a recordset by executing the command.

Set rs = cmd.Execute

' Loop through the recordset and print the first field.

Do While Not rs.EOF

Debug.Print rs(0)

rs.MoveNext

Loop

' Close the recordset.

rs.Close

End Sub

Modify it as follows to use a stored procedure:

Sub ParameterExample()

Dim cmd As New ADODB.Command

Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset

Dim prm As ADODB.Parameter

cmd.ActiveConnection = Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;User
ID=scott;Password=tiger;Data Source=oraDSN;

' Set the command's text, and specify that it is an SQL statement.

cmd.CommandText = "STORED_PROCEDURE_NAME" ' <-- changed

cmd.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc ' <-- changed this part too

' Set up a new parameter for the select.

Set prm = cmd.CreateParameter("deptno", adInteger, adParamInput, , 10)

cmd.Parameters.Append prm

' Create a recordset by executing the command.

Set rs = cmd.Execute

' Loop through the recordset and print the first field.

Do While Not rs.EOF

Debug.Print rs(0)

rs.MoveNext

Loop

' Close the recordset.

rs.Close

End Sub

In the second case the stored procedure has one in parameter which is deptno
and the out parameter (or possibly the function return) is a result set.

As I said, I havn't tried it myself, so I'd be interested to know if you get
it working on PG.

Regards
Iain