Re: 8.1.1.0, VB6, RDO, rdoResultset.RowCount

From: Hélder M(dot) Vieira <hmv(at)mail(dot)telepac(dot)pt>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.1.1.0, VB6, RDO, rdoResultset.RowCount
Date: 2005-11-10 02:16:48
Lists: pgsql-odbc
> this was discussed earlier today i think...
>
> the recordset has an EOF (end of file) flag. if rs.EOF equals False, then
> there are rows in the resultset.

Thanks and yes, EOF is indeed a much cleaner way for early testing of a
potentially empty resultset.
But now I have another disturbing situation, that came up during EOF
tests...
If I have a non-empty resultset, traveling all the way (using MoveNext)
until EOF is found doesn't produce a valid RowCount.
Only a MoveLast seems to do the job.

I created a five rows / two columns table, opened a 'select *' resultset and
performed the following sequence:

   With ordoRs
      .MoveFirst
      While Not .EOF
         Debug.Print .rdoColumns("f1"), .rdoColumns("f2"), .RowCount ' <----
RowCount is always equal to 0
         .MoveNext
      Wend
      .MoveLast
      Debug.Print , , .RowCount ' <---- RowCount is correct
   End With

This seems somewhat dangerous to me, although I must say I never made a
similar test with any ODBC driver (as far as I can remember, I always used
MoveLast to get an accurate RowCount).

Helder M. Vieira