Re: lc_time and localized dates

From: "Gevik Babakhani" <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: "'Euler Taveira de Oliveira'" <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, "'PostgreSQL-patches'" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: lc_time and localized dates
Date: 2008-02-26 09:53:18
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Attached is a patch that replaces the lc_messages with
> lc_time when using to_char in translation mode (TM) [1]. It
> doesn't change the output behaviour. Per discussion [2], it's
> using some cache mechanism so we don't need to call
> setlocale() all the time.

Have you tested this patch on MSVC and MinGW (Windows) builds?
changing LC_MESSAGES/LC_TIME will most probably break the Windows behavior.

> Some issues:
> (i) some locales don't capitalize the first letter. I'm using
> pg_toupper() to do the job but I'm afraid it's not
> appropriated.

AFAIK, some locales like the Dutch doesn't have capitalized first letters
for month/day.
Making the first letter capitalized for all values would be incorrect.

Regards,
Gevik