libpq request results

From: "Michael GUIARD" <michael(at)nestor-tech(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: libpq request results
Date: 2005-07-26 08:46:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
Hi !

I hope I choose the correct mailing list and I hope my question has not been already asked.
Correct me if I wrong.
I do not understand something : what is the difference between this mailing list and the newsgroup : news.postrgesql.org ?

My question concerning postgre sql libpq :

I'd like to use database support in my application. My application are
written in C++ and oftenly I do not use complex database.
So I want to use libpq library to manage db from my applications.

When I make a request like SELECT ... the result is downloaded completely
through network. The problem is that I have to wait the end of the download
before viewing some results (for many result rows and with a poor network
connection I have to wait a lot). I tried to use anychronous methos but the
problem is the same : my application is not locked during result retreiving
(good) but I can't present any results until the download is finished.

Is it possible to ask Postgre engine for a request, then wait for the end of
the request : postgre gives me the total result rows and then ask for
downloading the rows separately ?

thanks
Mike

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date

Next:From: Mehul Doshi-A20614Date: 2005-07-26 12:56:36