Problems with Beta 5 and odbc driver 8.00.00.02

From: George Weaver <gweaver(at)shaw(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problems with Beta 5 and odbc driver 8.00.00.02
Date: 2004-12-23 16:45:43
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi,

I have run into a problem with psqlodbc version 8.00.00.02 testing Beta 5
using an existing application on XP.

The application was developed in VB.NET and uses PostgreSQL as the backend,
connecting via psqlodbc. It was built and runs fine on 7.3.4 via Cygwin on
XP and Server 2000 using psqlodbc version 7.02.00.05.

The testing has been with psqlodbc version 8.00.00.02 that installs with
Beta 5.

The application has a number of user input forms that make extensive use of
dropdown combo boxes populated from tables in the database (one form has 8
combo boxes, another 15, and another over 20). The boxes are populated via
a query sent to the database. A connection is opened to the database, the
query executed, the data returned, and the connection closed. This process
occurs for each combobox in order.

When I run the application through the IDE in .NET there are no problems.
In fact, the speed of retrieval is remarkably enhanced compared to 7.3.4. A
form that used to take 7 seconds plus to load now loads in 2 seconds or
less!

However when I run from the .exe version directly I get an inconsistent
problem that results in Windows having to shut down the application. The
problem occurs when a form is populating the combo boxes while loading. Most
times the forms load without problem. At other times I encounter the
Microsoft "Test.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close..." dialog
box.

All data access processes occur within Try - Catch structures, but they are
not trapping the problem.

The database log shows:

2004-12-20 10:11:12 LOG: could not receive data from client: No connection
could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

2004-12-20 10:11:12 LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection
2004-12-20 10:11:12 LOG: could not receive data from client: No connection
could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

2004-12-20 10:11:12 LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection
2004-12-20 10:11:12 LOG: could not receive data from client: No connection
could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

2004-12-20 10:11:12 LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection

The Windows event log shows two errors for each of the above occurrences:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Faulting application test.exe, version 1.0.1813.27448, faulting module
psqlodbc.dll, version 8.0.0.2, fault address 0x0002001f.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: COM+
The system has called a custom component and that component has failed and
generated an exception. This indicates a problem with the custom component.
Notify the developer of this component that a failure has occurred and
provide them with the information below.
Component Prog ID: 0[ODBC][C:\WINDOWS\System32\psqlodbc.dll]
Method Name: IDispenserDriver::CreateResource
Process Name: test.exe
Exception: C0000005
Address: 0x0366001F
Call Stack:
psqlodbc!SQLGetDiagFieldW + 0x29F

I can forward a copy of the commlog file if that would be useful.

I am connecting via a DSN connnection using the default parameters for the
driver.

Is this likely a problem with the driver or is it something I may be able to
correct with differenct connection string settings?

Thanks,
George Weaver