Re: Full text Indexing -out of contrib and into main..

From: "john huttley" <john(at)mwk(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Full text Indexing -out of contrib and into main..
Date: 2000-11-28 08:09:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> I believe that it is appropriate for contrib/ because it is a good demo
> of FTI-like capabilities. But nothing more, yet. For at least a couple
> of reasons:
>
> 1) It generates the "index" as a table, not a PostgreSQL index or
> index-like thing.
>
> 2) It has a hardcoded list of non-indexed words. This should come from a
> table, to allow it to be tuned to the application requirements.
>
> Comments?
>
>                      - Thomas

In general..
a) Considering that I was coding up the same thing with triggers and such,
things could only get better.

b) Check out MSSQL 7's  capabilities and weep.

c) It would be a start. One its in the tree, it gets used more, gets
improved..

It would be a while yet before 7.2 starts, plenty of time then to develop
it further.

Regards

John