Re: tunning strategy needed

From: "Tomas Vondra" <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
To: "hyelluas" <helen_yelluas(at)mcafee(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: tunning strategy needed
Date: 2011-08-18 08:52:01
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 18 Srpen 2011, 0:40, hyelluas wrote:

> Should I start with replacing the sql with procedures?
>
> Should I start with replacing the views with the procedures to save time
> on
> recreating an execution plan and parsing?
>
> Should I start with tuning server parameters ?

Yes, you should start by tuning the server as a whole. Did you just
install the DB and restored your database? Have you tuned the config?

Tell us what are the basic performance-related parameters, i.e.

shared_buffers
effective_cache_size
checkpoint_segments
checkpoint_completion_target
work_mem
maintainance_work_mem
seq_page_cost
random_page_cost

and more information about the hardware and setup too (RAM, database size).

There's a quite nice guide regarding general tuning:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server

Tomas