What's faster?

From: "Keith Bottner" <kbottner(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: What's faster?
Date: 2003-12-27 00:11:19
Lists: pgsql-performance

I have a database where the vast majority of information that is related to
a customer never changes. However, there is a single field (i.e. balance)
that changes potentially tens to hundreds of times per day per customer
(customers ranging in the 1000s to 10000s). This information is not indexed.
Because Postgres requires VACUUM ANALYZE more frequently on updated tables,
should I break this single field out into its own table, and if so what kind
of a speed up can I expect to achieve. I would be appreciative of any
guidance offered.

BTW, currently using Postgres 7.3.4

Keith