Bug report for pgAdmin III

From: "Donald Fraser" <demolish(at)cwgsy(dot)net>
To: "[pgADMIN]" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Bug report for pgAdmin III
Date: 2003-06-19 18:34:49
Lists: pgadmin-support

PostgreSQL: 7.3.3
Client OS: W2K SP2.
pgAdmin III: 0.1.1 Devel(Jun 14 2003)

Here's a few errors that I've encountered when testing pgAdmin III.

1) Error Message: "There is more than one procedure named texticregexeq"
This happens as soon as I select the default public Schema, the pg_catalog Schema or the Operators item in the left hand browser list on a database that has in the pg_catalog an additional data type.
This data type is named citext (meaning case insensitive text). There is a loadable c-module that contains a minimum number of functions for defining "=", "<>", etc. The storage is identical to text, in fact it uses the same input and output functions, so I therefore over-loaded nearly all of the other system's internal functions for text to give citext full support with respect to operators, casts, regular expressions etc.
Hence for regular expression support I over-loaded the operator function "texticregexeq". I have the following functions in my pg_catalog schema;
i) texticregexeq(bpchar, citext)
ii) texticregexeq(text, text)
iii) texticregexeq(varchar, citext)
iv) texticregexeq(text, citext)
v) texticregexeq(citext, citext)

The "Operators" section of the database that uses these overloaded functions is totally empty!
I never got any errors like this using pgAdmin II on the same database. pgAdmin II displayed all the operators etc. including my own additions as outlined.

2) Error Message: "There is more than one procedure named pg_catalog.textcat"
I'm not sure what I did to get this message... sorry that's not much help I know. I suspect that its similar to the for-mentioned error message as I have over-loaded the textcat function such that in my pg_catalog I have:
textcat(text, text)
textcat(citext, citext)
I would say that its to do with this and the fact that I have the operator || for citext that uses the textcat function as defined above.

3) Error Message: "parser: parse error at or near "," at character 145"
This happens when I select a table that has a Foreign Key Constraint that uses more than one column. I assume this because the columns used for such constraints are not displayed in the definition. For example;
CONSTRAINT fkey_contrib_user FOREIGN KEY (id_contrib, id_user) REFERENCES tbl_user (id_contrib, id) ON DELETE RESTRICT ON UPDATE RESTRICT DEFERRABLE INITIALLY DEFERRED
is displayed as:
CONSTRAINT fkey_contrib_user FOREIGN KEY () REFERENCES tbl_user () ON UPDATE RESTRICT ON DELETE CASCADE DEFERRABLE INITIALLY DEFERRED

4) Triggers displayed for a table do not display parameters passed to the function. For example:
CREATE TRIGGER trig_btrim_cul
BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE
ON public.tbl_cmpy
FOR EACH ROW
EXECUTE PROCEDURE btrim_cul();

should display:
CREATE TRIGGER trig_btrim_cul
BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE
ON public.tbl_cmpy
FOR EACH ROW
EXECUTE PROCEDURE btrim_cul('n', 's_name', 'l', 's_email', 'l', 's_web');

5) Cutting and pasting:
Now this one is obviously not so important but its annoying and rather weird...
I can cut and paste into pgAdmin III from everything that I have tried so far which is Word 97 and Outlook Express 5.5.
I can cut and paste into Outlook Express from pgAdmin III but I cannot cut and paste from pgAdmin III into Word 97?

6) The security tab page on tables / functions property dialog does not display correct data (probably an obvious one as it looks like this tab page is not complete due to the fact that you cannot add single users, only groups).
Anyway here's an example by comparison between pgAdmin II and pgAdmin III for the same table.
pgAdmin II displays in the list;
User/Group Name: "PUBLIC" Privileges: "None"
User/Group Name: "postgres" Privileges: "All"
pgAdmin III displays in the list;
User/Group Name: "public" Privileges:
User/Group Name: "public" Privileges:
That is there is nothing displayed under the Privileges column and there are two entries for "public" when there should only be one and no entry for "postgres"

Basically for every entry it always displays the group/user as "public" and never displays any privileges. However it does display the correct text for the ACL property.

7) Colours:
Probably another obvious one. When displaying a PL/PGSQL functions, the colours in the definition pane are mostly the same - that is nearly everything between the single quotes defining the function are the colour purple (the exception is when I have text between quotes (''some text'') it sometimes displays that in a different colour). When I view the function via the properties page then the contents is nicely displayed with all the key words etc. in different colours.

8) Crash:
Pressing the "Options" item on the "File" menu crashes the application.
Windows reports that a log is being created... I can't find one anywhere - typical windows!

Regards
Donald Fraser