Re: PERFORMANCE

From: "Papp, Gyozo" <pgerzson(at)freestart(dot)hu>
To: <jmpoure(at)translationforge(dot)com>, <valeria(at)saolucas-se(dot)com(dot)br>, <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PERFORMANCE
Date: 2002-04-20 08:49:38
Lists: pgsql-php

Hi,

and Jean-Michel wrote:
| I figured out the only way to "crash" PostgreSQL was entering an endless loop.

| This happened to me sereval times (a trigger was spreading to another trigger,
| which in turned called back the first trigger; or simply an endless loop in a
| PLpgSQL function). When entering an endless loop, PostgreSQL activity climbs
| up, untill it reaches 100% user activity and dramaticaly slows down Linux.
| Isn't what happens to you? Turn on debuging to notice where the endless loop
| happens.

Yes, Jean-Michel is right, please try to debug what queries sent to the backend.
BTW, I'm doubt that it would be an endless loop rather than mis configured or
misconcepted (if you understand what I mean) database design.
Paulo stated there were times when everything was fine, pg just recently slowed
down. It might be a very evil trigger which starts to misbehave as tables grow.
BTW, it could be, really. If that trigger works too slowly...