Re: Switching timeline over streaming replication

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: "'Heikki Linnakangas'" <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: "'PostgreSQL-development'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Switching timeline over streaming replication
Date: 2012-10-06 12:58:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thursday, October 04, 2012 7:22 PM Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 03, 2012 8:45 PM Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> > On Tuesday, October 02, 2012 4:21 PM Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> > > Thanks for the thorough review! I committed the xlog.c refactoring
> > patch
> > > now. Attached is a new version of the main patch, comments on
> specific
> > > points below. I didn't adjust the docs per your comments yet, will
> do
> > > that next.
> >
> > I have some doubts regarding the comments fixed by you and some more
> new
> > review comments.
> > After this I shall focus majorly towards testing of this Patch.
> >

> Testing
> -----------

One more test seems to be failed. Apart from this, other tests are passed.

2. a. Master M-1
b. Standby S-1 follows M-1
c. insert 10 records on M-1. verify all records are visible on M-1,S-1
d. Stop S-1
e. insert 2 records on M-1.
f. Stop M-1
g. Start S-1
h. Promote S-1
i. Make M-1 recovery.conf such that it should connect to S-1
j. Start M-1. Below error comes on M-1 which is expected as M-1 has more
data.
LOG: database system was shut down at 2012-10-05 16:45:39 IST
LOG: entering standby mode
LOG: consistent recovery state reached at 0/176A070
LOG: record with zero length at 0/176A070
LOG: database system is ready to accept read only connections
LOG: streaming replication successfully connected to primary
LOG: fetching timeline history file for timeline 2 from primary
server
LOG: replication terminated by primary server
DETAIL: End of WAL reached on timeline 1
LOG: walreceiver ended streaming and awaits new instructions
LOG: new timeline 2 forked off current database system timeline 1
before current recovery point 0/176A070
LOG: re-handshaking at position 0/1000000 on tli 1
LOG: replication terminated by primary server
DETAIL: End of WAL reached on timeline 1
LOG: walreceiver ended streaming and awaits new instructions
LOG: new timeline 2 forked off current database system timeline 1
before current recovery point 0/176A070
k. Stop M-1. Start M-1. It is able to successfully connect to S-1 which
is a problem.
l. check in S-1. Records inserted in step-e are not present.
m. Now insert records in S-1. M-1 doesn't recieve any records. On M-1
server following log is getting printed.
LOG: out-of-sequence timeline ID 1 (after 2) in log segment
000000020000000000000001, offset 0
LOG: out-of-sequence timeline ID 1 (after 2) in log segment
000000020000000000000001, offset 0
LOG: out-of-sequence timeline ID 1 (after 2) in log segment
000000020000000000000001, offset 0
LOG: out-of-sequence timeline ID 1 (after 2) in log segment
000000020000000000000001, offset 0
LOG: out-of-sequence timeline ID 1 (after 2) in log segment
000000020000000000000001, offset 0

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.