Disastrous : Server shuts down abnormally

From: "Kallol Nandi" <kallol(at)aworkflow(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Disastrous : Server shuts down abnormally
Date: 2002-03-27 00:37:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

I am using PostgreSql for Windows.It is running on Cygwin which creates a Unix environment.
I am facing this problem when I start the PostgreSql database server and query any of the database.
The message (copied below) is flashed on the console.All the processes are terminated and the database server comes down.
What might the problem? Is there any configuration settings that I might have missed out?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bwicdb=# select * from batch_instance;
FATAL 2: open of /usr/share/postgresql/data/pg_clog/0C81 failed: No such file or directory
FATAL 2: open of /usr/share/postgresql/data/pg_clog/0C81 failed: No such file or directory
This probably means the server terminated abnormally before or while processing the request.
The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: DEBUG: server process (pid 1328) exited with exit code 2
DEBUG: terminating any other active server processes
NOTICE: Message from PostgreSQL backend:
The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
I have rolled back the current transaction and am going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
NOTICE: Message from PostgreSQL backend:
The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
I have rolled back the current transaction and am going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
Failed.
!# DEBUG: all server processes terminated; reinitializing shared memory and semaphores

IpcMemoryCreate: shmget(key=5432001, size=1441792, 03600) failed: Not enough core
This error usually means that PostgreSQL's request for a shared memory segment exceeded available memory or swap space.
To reduce the request size (currently 1441792 bytes), reduce PostgreSQL's shared_buffers parameter (currently 64) and/or
its max_connections parameter (currently 32).

The PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide contains more information about shared memory configuration.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have gone through the PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide and tried to changes the parameters in the postgresql.conf file but the persists.

Eagerly awaiting a reply.

Thanks and Regards,

Kallol Nandi
Software Engineer
Automated Workflow Pvt. Ltd.

Transforming the Way People Work...

Phone: +91-80-547 4102 / 548 2271
Fax: +91-80-5467241
Email: kallol(at)aworkflow(dot)com
Visit us @ http://www.aworkflow.com
"The information in this email is confidential, and intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are the addressee, the contents of this email are intended for your use only and it must not be forwarded to any third party, without first obtaining written authorization from the originator, or AWPL and its subsidiaries. It may contain information, which is confidential and legally privileged, and the same shall not be used, or dealt with, by any third party, in any manner whatsoever, without the specific consent of AWPL and its subsidiaries or its Group Companies.

The opinions expressed are those of the sender, and do not necessarily reflect those of the AWPL Group."