Re: [HACKERS] Increased company involvement

From: "Nicolai Petri (lists)" <lists(at)petri(dot)cc>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, "Kris Jurka" <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "PostgreSQL advocacy" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Increased company involvement
Date: 2005-04-30 08:37:06
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

> Anyone interested in pooling funds for features should take a look at
> http://people.freebsd.org/~phk/funding.html, which is about a FreeBSD
> developer who offered to work full-time on developing some specific
> features should enough people donate. Also worthy of mention is
> http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/.
This was really a great idea and we (my company) also supported it because
we use freebsd as our primary os. We also use PostgreSQL as our primary db
so it would be more than likely that we would donate money for something
similar with postgresql if either :
a) we can direct the money at one or more specific tasks
or
b) the tasks founded will be related to core postgresql features e.g.
generel performance or other benefits that fits all.

> I think that for certain key features there's probably a lot of people
> who would fork over between $100 and $1000 towards getting a feature
> completed.
Yes - without any promise I would probably be able to raise between $1000
and $3000 in a period of the next 3 months. I would definately try it
and I have multiple customers that have giving their intent on something
like this.

> Improved replication might be a good example. Table
> partitioning would absolutely be an example. If there was a means for
> these people to donate money towards work being done on some feature,
> it's very likely that large chunks of development time could be paid for
> just from smaller shops, let alone places that can afford to toss $20k
> towards the development of something.
I totally agree. In our preference list I would have the following tasks :
1) IOT (Index Ordered Tables)
2) Table partitioning
3) Better multimaster replication framework
4) Extending PostgreSQL's plugin support with additional hooks in the
backend e.g. :
- for adding new tablestore engines (like mysql can)
- for adding callbacks that get's called on transaction
success/failure
using SPI. (e.g. for housekeeping and cleanup)
5) Adding parameter support for NOTIFY / LISTEN

> Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant decibel(at)decibel(dot)org

Nicolai Petri
COD, catpipe systems - denmark

Ps. sorry for the x-post - should this be moved to advocacy ?