Does PG really lack a time zone for India?

From: "Ken Winter" <ken(at)sunward(dot)org>
To: "'PostgreSQL pg-general List'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Does PG really lack a time zone for India?
Date: 2006-02-15 04:52:27
Lists: pgsql-general

The documentation
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/datetime-keywords.html) doesn't
have an entry for Indian Standard Time, nor for any other time zone with a
GMT+5:30 offset.

Is this just an omission from the documentation? If so, what are the name
and codes of the GMT+5:30 time zone?

Or does PostgreSQL really have no time zone that it can read for this rather
important place? If so, can this problem be fixed?

(I believe the standard code for Indian Standard Time is IST, which alas
conflicts with PostgreSQL's code for Israel Standard Time, so I guess some
other code needs to be used for India.)

The documentation and/or PostgreSQL itself are also missing some other GMT
offsets:

* GMT+5:45 (Nepal)
* GMT+11 (various mid-Pacific islands) - There actually is one zone
with this offset, but it is an Australian daylight saving time zone (AESST),
so using it for standard time is a bit untidy.
* GMT+11:30 (Norfolk Island)
* GMT+13 and GMT+14 (Kribali, Tonga) - Yes indeed, these Pacific
islands are actually more than 12 hours ahead of GMT!

These are less important than India because (except for Nepal) they only
apply to a few Pacific islands, but if someone were to go in there and fix
the India problem, it might be a good time to tidy these up as well.

~ TIA

~ Ken