is insertion and movement times are correlated to the size of the database?

From: "Kalle Barck-Holst" <carl(at)barck-holst(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: is insertion and movement times are correlated to the size of the database?
Date: 2002-12-09 06:30:48
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi

I am doing a research project on real time robotics and wanted to have the postgres as a database to save measurements we aggregate when running our robots.

A common operation we do is insertion and movements of measurements within tables. But it seams as if insertion and movement times are correlated to the size of the database. Can this be possible? IE inserting into a large database takes longer time than into a small database.

I'd be grateful for comments on the reason for this.

Carl Barck-Holst

Carl och Josefine Barck-Holst
Östermalms g 84
11450 Stockholm