Re: Issue observed in cascade standby setup and analysis for same

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: "'Josh Berkus'" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Issue observed in cascade standby setup and analysis for same
Date: 2012-09-12 11:35:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Friday, September 07, 2012 8:24 PM Amit Kapila wrote:
On Thursday, September 06, 2012 9:58 PM Josh Berkus wrote:
On 9/6/12 7:06 AM, Amit Kapila wrote:
>>> 1. Set up postgresql-9.2beta2 on all hosts.

>> Did you retest this with 9.2rc1? Beta2 was a while ago ....

> Tested in 9.2rc1, the problem occurs incase I use database and backup of 9.2 Beta2. However when created fresh
> database and backup, it doesn't occur. This problem doesn't occur every time, so I will try more to reproduce it on
> 9.2 RC1 database as well.

According to my analysis, this defect is not apparently visible in 9.2RC1 due to commit b8b69d89905e04b910bcd65efce1791477b45d35 by Tom.

This can be visible in 9.2RC1 as well if checkpoint interval is long. So the conclusion point is on cascaded standby, the clients will not be allowed to connect till the Checkpoint interval of master incase there is no activity on master.

So according to my analysis this defect still holds for 9.2RC1 as well and I shall raise a bug for it.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.