Re: Constant "JTable" update

From: Per-Olof Norén <pelle(at)alma(dot)nu>
To: "Jean-Christophe ARNU" <arnu(at)paratronic(dot)fr>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Constant "JTable" update
Date: 2001-11-09 13:05:21
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jean-Christophe ARNU" <arnu(at)paratronic(dot)fr>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2001 10:38 PM
Subject: [JDBC] Constant "JTable" update

> The straightforward solution seems to have database listeners on the
> table that wakes-up a notifier in the java program. But such kind of
> mechanism seems not to be implemented in the JDBC API (up to my small
> knowledge).

I haven´t seen such a mechanism, either :-)

> The second tortuous solutions (the one I use) is to query the database
> relatively often to get the freshest results. This is quite bandwidth
> consumming (assuming that some users should use a quite small bandwidth
> connection). Using this kind of solution makes the Java application
> slow...
First of all, this is how I interpreted your config.
You do a executeQuery once the rendering of the chart is done for one
And you process the entire ResultSet everytime, even though no changes are

If this is the case, I would suggest a change in the following direction:
1. Create a little status table containing just one column: create table
last_change (lastchange datetime). Also add one row to the table
2. Create a trigger on the measurer table, that updates the date of the
status table.
3. Design your algorithm something like this

check status by executing a select on status table.

if changed {
    store the date from status query
    execute data query
    render chart

This would reduce the bandwith by not sending the resultset when no changes
are made.

By measuring the average change in time between , say the last five updates
to the status table, you
could even put the rendering of the chart in its on thread and let it sleep
a little shorter than the average time

Per-Olof Norén