Re: BUG #7533: Client is not able to connect cascade standby incase basebackup is taken from hot standby

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: "'Fujii Masao'" <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #7533: Client is not able to connect cascade standby incase basebackup is taken from hot standby
Date: 2012-09-25 08:35:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Saturday, September 15, 2012 11:41 AM Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > On Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:32 PM Fujii Masao wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
> wrote:

> standby.
> >>>>

> >> No, at least in my case. When recovery starts at shutdown checkpoint
> record and
> >> there is no record following the shutdown checkpoint, recovery gets
> in
> >> wait state
> >> before entering the main redo apply loop. That is, recovery starts
> waiting for
> >> new WAL record to arrive, in ReadRecord just before the redo loop.
> So moving
> >> the CheckRecoveryConsistency() call after rm_redo cannot fix the
> problem which
> >>I reported. To fix the problem, we need to make the recovery reach
> the
> >> consistent
> >> point before the redo loop, i.e., in the CheckRecoveryConsistency()
> >> just before the redo loop.
> >
> > I think may be in that case we need both the fixes, as the problem I
> have reported can be fixed with Heikki's patch.
>
> Agreed. And we should just add the CheckRecoveryConsistency() call
> after rm_redo
> rather than moving it, as you suggested upthread.

If anybody doesn't have objection, then can we fix this in code. Basically
have the patch suggested by
Heikki with some modifications and Fujii's patch as fix of this defect and
if it's agreed upon, I can
combine both the fixes and prepare a single patch as fix of this defect.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.