Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: "'Hannu Krosing'" <hannu(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "'Chris Corbyn'" <chris(at)w3style(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL
Date: 2012-10-31 04:02:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:32 AM Hannu Krosing wrote:
On 10/29/2012 03:14 PM, Amit Kapila wrote:

On Monday, October 29, 2012 7:11 PM Chris Corbyn

> What's the use case of this? It sounds like it will just create a
maintenance nightmare where some stuff you expect to lookup in in
postgresql.conf is actually hiding in the .auto file. Assuming only super
users/sysadmins would have the ability to change things in the config file,
wouldn't they be more likely to just do it on the server and edit the .conf
(which among other things, keeps it tidy and orderly).

Basically after this user will have 2 options to change the postgresql.conf
parameters.

One is by directly editing the postgresql.conf file and

Other is by using SQL commands.

There will be nothing hidden in .auto file, it's just that it will create
separate file for parameters set by SQL command to avoid the hassles of
parsing the postgresql.conf during the processing of SQL command.

>If interested I have somewhere pl/pythhonu functions for both looking at
and
changing parameters in postgresql.conf file,

In the previous discussion about this feature, it was mentioned by many
people as postgresql.conf can be editied by users in many ways, it will be
difficult to come up with a reliable function which can handle all possible
cases. That is why I have taken the approach of having 2 separate files, one
user editable and other can be only edited by SQL Commands.

In anycase if you have those functions readily available then please send
them, it can be useful for me.

With Regards,

Amit Kapila.