speeding up pg_dump?

From: <me(at)alternize(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: speeding up pg_dump?
Date: 2005-12-27 02:47:53
Lists: pgsql-novice
hi list

the pg_dump of our 2.45gb db takes an awfully long 45min during which db services come more or less to a hold.
this does not seem right to me. cpus and disks are basically idelling around. what other factors are involved in pg_dump?

here's our pg_dump command:
pg_dump -Fc -Z 2 -U postgres -f /backup/temp/mydb.db mydb

i tried to remove compression but that didn't help either - the server is more or less idle anyways.

i've noticed autovacuum continuing to vacuum tables during backup. might this be a problem?

any help speeding up the backup process is very appreciated!

- thomas

pgsql-novice by date