Re: Character invalid saving memo with UpdateSQL

From: "Cristian Custodio" <cristian_custodio(at)terra(dot)com(dot)br>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Character invalid saving memo with UpdateSQL
Date: 2003-11-27 17:43:17
Lists: pgsql-odbc

I'll do this, thanks.

Cristian

----- Original Message -----
From: Leeuw van der, Tim
To: 'Cristian Custodio' ; pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2003 11:17 AM
Subject: RE: [ODBC] Character invalid saving memo with UpdateSQL

Hi,

If you're converting an application from Oracle to PG, that implies that in the Oracle DB you also had such large VARCHAR fields. And since that didn't give trouble, it furthermore implies that the problem is in the PG ODBC drivers.

Perhaps you should file a bug against them?

I have a varchar(1000) field in my db but since it's not actually used I haven't ran into any trouble with my application (using C#) (it's just a comment-field and I haven't filled the comment with sensible and large things in my tests, and I'm the only one testing with PG from time to time - regular testing is with MySQL and Oracle, production on Oracle only).

About testing with MS-Access, I thought you could perhaps try to open the db tables as linked tables in Access, and execute an update-query from there just to see whether or not any garbage is entered into the database instead of the proper info.

regards,

--Tim