Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: "'Andres Freund'" <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'Josh Berkus'" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "'Christopher Browne'" <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL
Date: 2012-10-31 03:39:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:58 AM Andres Freund wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:24:20 PM Tom Lane wrote:
> > The fact that this isn't being done by a large number of
> > people (is anybody at all actually doing it?) suggests to me that
> maybe
> > the demand isn't all that great.
>
> It might also be that the idea of implementing that yourself is quite
> scary.

> Also you would need to parse the file to reset values which isn't
> exactly
> easy...

As this new file (postgresql.conf.auto) will not be edited by users, so it
might not be
difficult to handle it, as the code will now the exact format of file.
The problem can be there if we need to parse postgresql.conf to set/reset
values, as for that
the format is not fixed. However that is taken care by having 2 files.
Please point me, if I misunderstood the difficulty raised by you.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.