java.lang.OutOfMemory Exception with a large number of inserts

From: "Arsalan Zaidi" <azaidi(at)directi(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "PostgreSQL jdbc list" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: java.lang.OutOfMemory Exception with a large number of inserts
Date: 2001-10-03 07:13:12
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-jdbc

Hi.

At one point in my program, I was inserting a large number of rows
(~600,000) using a prepared statement. Here are some things I noticed.

1. It's very slow! :-)
2. Initially, the cpu monitor shows a high level of cpu utilisation, but
this slowly drops off with a blip every second or so. Basically, things slow
down as the process chugs along.
3. I eventually get a java.Lang.OutOfMemory exception after approx 1:00 -
1:30 hrs.

I tried running the JVM with heap size set to 50 Mbytes. I still get the out
of mem error.

I can't use the 'load' command instead of individual inserts.

Is there a faster/better way? Any ideas on how I can get rid of the out of
mem errors?

Thanks in advance

--Arsalan
WAR IS PEACE