Where in the world is pgsql-announce@postgresql.org??

From: adrian(at)ezymail(dot)com
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Where in the world is pgsql-announce@postgresql.org??
Date: 1999-06-18 23:09:19
Lists: pgsql-announcepgsql-bugspgsql-docspgsql-generalpgsql-hackerspgsql-interfacespgsql-portspgsql-sql
Hi pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org,

I am writing to you in relation to a project that I am working on -
to build a geographical map of the Internet, and I was wondering if you
might help me by entering the name of your nearest city on my web page at:
 http://www.ezymail.com/~s98212752/geolocate/default.htm My web page then maps your virtual location to your geographical location, there by generating the data that I need for my project.

I want to assure you that I do NOT record e-mail addresses, (or URLs for that matter) in my world map, so by helping me with this project, you are definitely NOT going to be opening yourself up to more unsolicited mail. My site doesn't even ask for your e-mail address, it only asks for your nearest city. If you would like to know about how I feel about protecting your privacy then please checkout my frequently asked questions at http://www.ezymail.com/~s98212752/geolocate/faq.htm#Answers
It would help my project along greatly if you could spare a moment to enter the name of your nearest city, but if not, then thanks anyway for considering my request.

I don't want to waste your time any further, but if you would like to know how I came to get your e-mail address, and why I am asking 'you', then here is a brief explanation.

I got your mail address from http://postgres.home.ml.org, or if not on that page, it was on a page who's link appeared on that page. I was trying to find e-mail addresses that had been around for a while, and so I got hold of a list of URLs that were a few years old, and then I set a robot up to find any e-mail addresses that might be associated with those pages. Yours - pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org was picked up by the robot, but I am not sure if it was on http://postgres.home.ml.org, or whether it was just on a page that appeared as a link on that page. (The idea was to find people like yourself, that had been around the net for a while, and would not be terrified by the thought of someone knowing what their nearest city was.)

I hope that you don't mind me asking, but as you can imagine, to build a reasonably good map of the net, I need an awful lot of people to tell me 'where' their part of the net is.

Oh, and if you would like to know what I plan to do with the data, well I can see all kinds of uses for it, from analysing web traffic to geographically targeted web advertising. I would also be very interested in hearing from anyone who may be interested in assisting, investing, or otherwise in the development of any of these possible uses. Even if you would just like to use the data yourself, then I would like to hear from you.

Anyway, I have taken up enough of your time, but once again, if you would like to help me build a map of the Internet, then all that you have to do is just enter the name of your nearest city in the single text box at
http://www.ezymail.com/~s98212752/geolocate/default.htm
Thanks heaps for your help in advance, and even if you don't help, then
thanks anyway for considering my request.

Kind Regards
Adrian McElligott
adrian(at)ezymail(dot)com

pgsql-docs by date

Next:From: Fred Wilson HorchDate: 1999-06-21 02:07:28