Re: ODBC & character encoding

From: "Layet Benjamin" <benjamin(at)moonfactory(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Iain" <iain(at)mst(dot)co(dot)jp>, <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ODBC & character encoding
Date: 2005-02-07 08:06:30
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Hi,
Thank you Iain for your quick reply.
But unfortunately this did not solve the problem, 7.1 does not support this
conversion neither yet. (7.3 and 7.4 do):

SET client_encoding='UNICODE';
ERROR:  Conversion between UNICODE and EUC_JP is not supported

In theory, I have 3 possible places to convert UTF8 to EUC_JP:
- 1 inside postgres
- 2 inside ODBC
- 3 inside C#

1

        C#                                    ODBC                 Postgres
7.1
Utf8                  l =============>  l                l =====>l
UTF8->EUC_JP
(possible->Unicode)   l     UTF8        l                l UTF8  l
______________________l  (or Unicode)   l________________l
l_______________

2
        C#                                    ODBC                 Postgres
7.1
Utf8                  l =============>  l UTF8->EUC_JP   l =====>l
(possible->Unicode)   l     UTF8        l                l EUC_JPl
______________________l  (or Unicode)   l________________l
l_______________

3

        C#                                    ODBC                 Postgres
7.1
UTF8->EUC_JP          l =============>  l                l =====>l
(possible->Unicode)   l     EUC_JP      l                l EUC_JPl
______________________l                 l________________l
l_______________

Number 1 seem to be the normal solution, but it does not work with 7.1.
I would like to know if number 2 or 3 are possible:
so,
 - Can the ODBC driver convert the query string from UTF8 to EUC_JP before
sending it to the database server ?
or
- Can the ODBC driver take EUC_JP string as input ? (then I would 'just'
have to figure out how to send EUC_JP stings from C#...)

Help extremely needed...
Thank you !

Benjamin