Re: PITR: Request for assistance with alpha test plan

From: "Nicolai Tufar" <ntufar(at)pisem(dot)net>
To: <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers-pitr(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PITR: Request for assistance with alpha test plan
Date: 2004-03-14 21:25:57
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-hackers-pitr

Should be difficult to incorporate it in current regression tests
We will need a case for backend crash and then startup and recover. Then
we will need a case where we would take backup of a datafile, perform
some insert and updates, corrupt datafile with random data, shutdown
backend, startup, fail to startup, restore datafile from backup, apply
roll forward by applying WAL's and startup. The to test this strategy
thoroughly we will need to pull the plug on running system a couple of

> My suggestion is the coordinated assembly of a comprehensive test
> BY USERS, for USERS. When such a test plan document is assembled, the
> tests described should be able to be repeated many times by many users
> on many platforms, though under a range of workloads, to ensure all
> are found and reported.
> This is ideally suited to those who USE rather than extend the
> functionality. You are skilled people whose contribution is gratefully
> received in this endeavour.
> Based upon the possible failures already identified, it should be
> possible to write a set of tests that check for those failure
> conditions. In doing so, it may occur to you that other failure
> conditions may exist also and it would be good to raise those as
> possibilities now.
> This ISN'T a call for beta-testers, but a call for assistance in
> assembling the list of tests that alpha-testers will be asked to
> complete. If you don't understand what I'm asking for, then it may not
> yet be time for you to help; however, I am particularly interested in
> assistance from those who know they are using relatively obscure parts
> of the PostgreSQL product.
> Based upon volume of response, you may not receive individual
> thanks...but there will be a list of credits somewhere down the

I will be more than ready to participate.