Re: COPY FROM performance improvements

From: "Michael Paesold" <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>
To: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>, "Alon Goldshuv" <agoldshuv(at)greenplum(dot)com>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: COPY FROM performance improvements
Date: 2005-06-25 22:07:24
Lists: pgsql-patches

Luke Lonergan wrote:
> I've attached Alon's patch ported to the CVS trunk. It applies cleanly
> and
> passes the regressions. With fsync=false it is 40% faster loading a
> sample
> dataset with 15 columns of varied type. It's 19% faster with fsync=true.
>
> This patch separates the CopyFrom code into two pieces, the new logic for
> delimited data and the existing logic for CSV and Binary.
>
> - Luke

What about this one:
case COPY_OLD_FE:
+ ereport(ERROR,
+ (errcode(ERRCODE_CONNECTION_FAILURE),
+ errmsg("Old FE protocal not yet supported in fast COPY processing
(CopyGetData())")));
+

This can't stay like it is, can it?
Who uses the old FE protocol for COPY? Any drivers?

Otherwise I think the speed improvment is very fine. :-)

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold