Re: smp , php and postmaster distant

From: "Dana Hudes" <dhudes(at)hudes(dot)org>
To: Loïc TREGOUËT <loic(at)ext(dot)cri74(dot)org>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: smp , php and postmaster distant
Date: 2000-06-22 18:02:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

to my knowledge PostgreSQL is not multi-threaded.
PHP appliations don't support threads or multiple processes; Perl supports multiple processes and, especially in 5.6 (and some development
versions before it) threads.
Your gain from SMP under such situation is the application has a cpu for itself
and all the system overhead processes run on the other cpu.

I think PgSQL is thread-safe but someone like Bruce Momjian would know for sure.