Re: [DOCS] prob with pgaccess

From: "Jose Aparicio" <aparicio(at)bgumail(dot)bgu(dot)ac(dot)il>
To: "vincent leycuras" <e97249(at)essec(dot)fr>, <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [DOCS] prob with pgaccess
Date: 1999-08-31 15:43:01
Lists: pgsql-docs

Salud Vincent,

If I understood your problem all you need is to restart the postmaster with
the "-i" option, this allows TCP/IP connects to the db system:
1.- stop the postmaster:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql stop
2.- edit the file"/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql " as root, adding this line:
------------------------------
case "$1" in
start)
echo -n "Starting postgresql service: "
su postgres -c '/usr/bin/postmaster -i -S -D/var/lib/pgsql'
<<<<<<<
sleep 1
pid=`pidof postmaster
----------------------------------
3.- restart postmaster
/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start

Now you need to allow connections to your database editing
/var/lib/pgsql/pg_hba.conf
and there u go!
Everything is explained in the file, although I have never managed to get
postgresql to deny a connection when I am giving the right loging but no
password. If anyone knows a doc on access rights, etc tell me please.
This file is readed on every new connection so you can edit it without
touching the pstmastr process.

Hope this was your question
Regards
J.Aparicio