auto_vacuum question

From: "Mark Steben" <msteben(at)autorevenue(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: auto_vacuum question
Date: 2008-03-17 14:31:02
Lists: pgsql-admin
We upgraded from postgres 7.4.5 to 8.2.5 a couple weekends ago.  I just
turned auto vacuum on today.

I manually inserted 4 entries in PG_AUTOVACUUM with enabled = 'f' to exclude
these larger tables

That we manually vacuum every night.  But the first tables that autovacuum
chooses to vacuum are

These 4 tables.  Am I missing something?

Another, possibly related question:  the 4 tables mentioned above are
vacuumed via a scheduled

Daemon that invokes the VACUUMDB shell.  But the LAST_VACUUM column in
PG_STAT_USER_TABLES

Is not updated to reflect this vacuum.  Other tables vacuumed manually
during the day do have this

LAST_VACUUM column updated.  The autovacuum does populate the
LAST_AUTOVACUUM column

For these tables.

Any insights?  Thanks

Mark Steben

Senior Database Administrator
@utoRevenueT
A Dominion Enterprises Company
480 Pleasant Street
Suite B200
Lee, MA 01238
413-243-4800 Home Office
413-243-4809 Corporate Fax

msteben <blocked::mailto:name(at)autorevenue(dot)com> @autorevenue.com

Visit our new website at
 <blocked::http://www.autorevenue.com/> www.autorevenue.com

IMPORTANT: The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential
and is intended only for the named addressee(s). If the reader of this
e-mail message is not the intended recipient (or the individual responsible
for the delivery of this e-mail message to the intended recipient), please
be advised that any re-use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
e-mail message is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail message in
error, please reply to the sender that you have received this e-mail message
in error and then delete it.  Thank you.

pgsql-admin by date