Looking for PostgreSQL DBA - San Francisco

From: "Eric Miskey" <eric(at)121staffing(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Looking for PostgreSQL DBA - San Francisco
Date: 2011-09-02 17:59:31
Lists: pgsql-jobs

Hello -

I would like to post the following job - please let me know if this is an
acceptable format, or if you prefer a .pdf/Word doc/etc.

Best wishes,

Eric Miskey

President/Founder

One-to-One Staffing, Inc.

(925) 876-2202

eric(at)121staffing(dot)com

PostgreSQL DBA - San Francisco, Full-time

Responsibilities:

The role reports directly to the VP Engineering and is responsible for -

* Design, optimization and support of all production databases running
PostgreSQL and MySQL
* Drive design and strategy for replication and high availability of data
for stateless applications across multiple data centers
* Configuring, tuning, testing and maintaining production databases for all
mission critical systems
* Provide support and advice for developers writing applications on the Ruby
On Rails platform for best practices for schema design, indexing strategies
and hardware capacity planning
* Work with the systems management and executive team on our overall data
storage and aging policies

Characteristics:

Required*
* Experience with design and support of large, high volume production
databases
* Expert understanding of PostgreSQL, including experience with or good
understanding of clustering and database replication scenarios, ideally
using Postgres 9.0 or greater.
* In depth knowledge of database design, including logical and physical
design, as well as SQL
* Strong Linux administration skills, as well as knowledge of systems
security and data security
* Analytical skills - comfort with tools/processes involved in data-driven
decision-making
* Comfort working in fast-paced, ambiguous environment - self-starting,
ambitious and flexible

Preferred*
* Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, MIS or equivalent
* Experience with design and implementation of multi-master replication on
Postgres or MySQL
* Knowledge of SAN infrastructures and storage architectures in highly
redundant environments
* Experience with NOSQL solutions such as MongoDB or similar technologies
* Experience with design and support of a Data Warehouse, including design
and support of ETL processes
* Previous experience at an early stage start-up

Environment
Our client is a small, high-growth company, which means tremendous
challenges and opportunities. We are looking for smart people who learn
fast, solve problems, and get the job done. Our products and services are
focused on the user experience, so you'll need to be user-focused as well.
We have a world-class team drawn from companies such as Apple, Adobe,
Intuit, Corbis, Current TV, eBay, Kodak, Method, Microsoft, Sun, CNET,
Yahoo!, Lonely Planet and Sony.

They're in the financial district, and there are plenty of great eating (and
drinking) spots close by!

Benefits
* Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (PPO or HMO options)
* 401(k) retirement plan
* Employer paid life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
* Flexible Spending Account (both medical and dependent care)
* 10 paid holidays
* 15 days paid time off per year (with tenure-based increases after two
years)
* Free lunch on Wednesdays